Thursday, January 16, 2014

Water ONLY hair method...sort of

I have extremely fine blonde hair. When I say fine, I mean baby fine. All 47 years of my life I have heard over and over, your hair is fine the shampoo is going to ruin it, blah blah blah.  Now that I am older, boy do I wish I would have listened. I washed my hair, EVERY SINGLE DAY! I RUINED IT!
I was desperately surfing the net looking for the ultimate easy cheap hair fix, for this blonde rats nest of a  mess and I kept stumbling over the No Poo Method. WTF is the no POO method? What kind of name is that? As I read and dug deeper I heard all sorts of bad stuff about shamPOO, how it causes hair loss, dandruff and all kinds of crap, not to mention all the harmful chemicals and the cost of the shamPOO and cream rinse itself. I read up on how to keep the yucky smell out of your hair, how to keep the  greasiness down to a minimum and your hair manageable and beautiful.

Did I really want to jump into the "hippy" culture and try this no POO method? Did I really want to go around with dirty stinky hair? It just sounds oh so gross!  ...but on the other hand if its all falling out...would this save the  few strands of hair I have left?  Really what do I have to lose, oh wait my hair! 

All the websites said to use baking soda mixture and apple cider vinegar in a spray bottle. I ran to the cupboard and yup I had both, now for the spray bottle. The only thing I could find was an 3/4 empty hairspray bottle. I would not be needing that crap anymore because my head is going green. I washed and rewashed and REWASHED the bottle added a ounce of apple cider vinegar and the rest water. Mixed up my baking soda concoction in my Tupperware container and jumped in the shower. 

I wet my hair and grabbed a big gob of the baking soda and water and worked it into my head. There was no lather but I already knew there would not be. I rinsed and then I rinsed again. My hair felt thick and greasy. Gawd I hope this is going to work. I then sprayed my head with the vinegar mixture and let it set on my head while I washed the rest of myself. Once I rinsed my hair, which took forever to get it all out and what I hoped not smelling like an Easter Egg,  I cool water rinsed, after all that is what the internet said to do, and if you read it on the internet it has to be true! :)

Once I got my hair towel dried it was the moment of truth. The entire time I am thinking I will NEVER be able to get a comb through this without my beloved cream rinse. Boy was I wrong! It combed out easier than if I had used a cream rinse! WOW! So far so good! I combed, blowdryed and styled as usual. Again I was surprised. My hair not only felt clean it looked clean and yes the frizzies were not as bad.  Maybe this is going to work out after all!

They said it would take about 6 weeks for the sebum on your scalp to balance out and become healthy again. At my age I hope it only takes 6 weeks, less would be better! You can also mist your hair with natural oils, such as lavender oil. For now I will go without the scents. ( I don't have anything!)

You only need to use the baking soda and vinegar once a week, the rest of the week just plain water.Once your scalp adjust you will only need the baking soda and vinegar spray when you want a deep clean. 

Dale of course will be my hair sniffer because I am not going around with a stinky head! I will keep you all updated on this and if I follow through with it I will do before and after pics.
 The worse case scenario for this is that I will  have a dirty head for the next 6 weeks, if I last that long...
Best case scenario, I will have beautiful shiny hair without the hair loss and without the cost of shampoo. Think of all the room it will save in my shower bag for the truck! 

NOTE: They did say to trim the ends of your hair before hand. I did not do that.

_________________________________________________________________________________
This has been one of the best things I have done! My hair is soft and shiny. The frizzies are almost gone!  I have been using Dr. Bronners Tea Tree Castile soap. Just a drop, lather in your hands and wash. I also got Nature Gate Daily Conditoner. It is a thick brown, very strong smelling conditioner. I love the stuff! Its awesome! Why didnt I do this 30 years ago! 

No comments:

Post a Comment